Don't like to read? No worries, just click here
- Nero Aurum recommends no larger than a 1 liter batch size for brewing at home. With regular home storage, cold brew has a limited shelf life (3-5 days max). Only brew larger batches if you are sure you can use it in that time window.
- Make sure your water is cold; pre-chill in the refrigerator if needed. The goal is to brew below 4 degrees celsius (39F.) For home brewing, big jars are preferred objects to use for cold brew.
- Grind 80 - 90 grams per liter (depending on preferred brew strength) on a medium grind setting. This should be finer than what you might use for a press pot.
- Add your freshly ground coffee to your chilled water and stir. You want to ensure that the you wet all the coffee. Seal the vessel and store in the refrigerator.
- After 1-2 hours, stir again. This will ensure that the coffee is incorporated with the water fully, rather than rising to & sitting at the top while off-gassing.
- At the 22-23 hour mark, stir once more and strain. Decant the brew liquid through a metal strainer to remove larger particles, then strain again through cloth or polypropylene. Cloth is easily cleanable & re-usable; a woodneck brewer works well for this. You may have to clean the cloth in between batches to avoid it clogging with fine particles.
- Once filtered, cold brew should be stored in a refrigerated minimal oxygen environment. The easiest way to achieve this is by storing it in a sealed vessel that is completely filled, so that there is minimal headspace.
- Enjoy your cold-brewed Nero Aurum Coffee. Remember, the coffee is very concentrated so when served, you can add water, (coffee) ice-cubes, hot or cold milk and/or sugar if your prefer. Try and find your favorite!